Proverbs 13:12, “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but when the desire comes, it is a tree of life.” (NLT)
Genesis 1:26-27, “Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground.” So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.” (NIV)
Genesis 1:31, “Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.” (NKJV)
Genesis 3:6, “When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.” (NIV)
Romans 12:2, “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.” (NLT)
Psalms 37:4, “Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” (NIV)
- Why is it important to understand that desire is a function of the human design and that it reflects the nature and image of God?
- Explain the process of desire. Write down how this process is demonstrated in John 3:16 as well as Genesis 3:6.
- If desire is inherently evil, how could Adam and Eve have an evil desire before the fall? Remember, desire precedes action.
- Desire is a gift from God. In your own words, explain the purpose of desire?
- The moral outcome of desire is a reflection of what we believe to be true about ourselves, others, and God. Explain the relationship between our perception and the desires that fuel our actions.
- How has this devotional challenged your view of desire? How can you practically integrate this truth into your life?
- Write down a desire or two that you have that is contrary to the nature and character of God.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal any lie that you are believing concerning yourself, others, or even Him.
- Through the Word of God and His Spirit, challenge your way of thinking. As you repent (change your mind) and meditate on the truth, invite it’s penetrating work into your life.
- With a new way of thinking, harness the power of desire. Allow His work to change you from the inside out.
HEART OF GOD
by HILLSONG WORSHIP
by CODY CARNES
DRAW ME CLOSE TO YOU
By LIFE WORSHIP