EP24: NO LONGER SLAVES
John 15:5, “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” (NIV)
Psalm 103:7, “He made known his ways to Moses, His deeds to the people of Israel:” (NIV) – “He revealed his character to Moses and his deeds to the people of Israel.” (NLT)
John 15:15, “I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.” (NLT)
Exodus 33:11, “So the LORD spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend….” (NKJV)
John 14:15, “If you love Me, keep My commandments.” (NKJV)
Proverbs 4:23, “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” (NIV) – “Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.” (NLT)
Proverbs 8:17, “I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me.” (NKJV)
Jeremiah 29:13, “And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” (NKJV)
Psalm 119:10, “With my whole heart I seek you; let me not wander from your commandments!” (NKJV)
- In your own words, what does it mean to be a friend of God?
- John 15:15 says, “I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.” (NLT) Explain the differences between the communication of a master and of a friend.
- Jesus is not just offering a helping hand; He is offering His heart. At times, just like the Israelites coming out of Egypt, we can feel more comfortable as a slave than as a friend of God. Why do you think many people struggle with relating to God as a friend?
- Why is it important to understand that the purposes, promises, and callings of God are not goal-oriented, but rather they are relational in nature?
- Write down the three examples given in this episode of what friendship with God looks like. Expound on each one.
- What are the two sides/perspectives expressed in John 14:15? “If you love Me, keep My commandments.” (NKJV)
Jesus calls us His friend! This implies that His heart is available to us. Understanding, connection, and authentic communication are all accessible to us through this friendship with Him.
Each day for the next week, ask the Holy Spirit to reveal an aspect of His heart. Make sure you record these revelations in some way. At the end of the week in your quiet time with the Lord, begin to reflect on what He has spoken to you during this time.
Remember: He reveals His heart to His friends.
HEART OF GOD
by HILLSONG YOUNG & FREE
by JESUS CULTURE
FACE TO FACE
APPLE PODCASTS | GOOGLE PODCASTS | SPOTIFY | BREAKER | POCKET CASTS | RADIOPUBLIC | OVERCAST | STITCHER | RSS