WHY DO BELIEVERS NEED TO BECOME PART OF A CHURCH FAMILY?
The Church is the body of Christ. Each member of the body is essential and needed. We are to love and encourage one another into good works—not staying away from our worship gatherings (as it says in Hebrews 10:23-25). This is for our benefit and the benefit of the whole body. Jesus never intended for any part of His body to be alone, or to try to make it on their own. This is one of the ways that we grow up in God, by being in community and relationship with one another—even in the difficult times. “But speaking the truth in love, let us grow in every way into Him who is the head—Christ (Ephesians 4:15 HCSB). Our transformation and growth into the fullness of God’s image happens in relationship in His body. Jesus said in Matthew 16:18 that “…I will build my church…” Know that You are a part of what He is building in the Church!
MORE NOTES ON THE CHURCH
- It would be a mistake to distance yourself from the Church that Jesus planned for you to spend eternity with.
- God knows what it will take for you to grow and prosper in your spiritual walk.
- Isolating yourself from other believers is an open door for the enemy of your soul to have an advantage over you.
- God knows that being with other believers who care about you, love you, are growing in Christ, and even rub you the wrong way is a way to mature in the character of Christ.
- Some may say that there is no perfect church. However, we are all called to be continually transformed into Christ’s image, and it does not happen on our own outside of the relationships God intended.
WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT IT
“And He put everything under His feet and appointed Him [Jesus] as head over everything for the church, which is His body, the fullness of the One who fills all things in every way.” Ephesians 1: 22-23 (HCSB)
“So then you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with the saints, and members of God’s household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the cornerstone. The whole building, being put together by Him, grows into a holy sanctuary in the Lord. You also are being built together for God’s dwelling in the Spirit.” Ephesians 2:19-22 (HCSB)
“Let us hold on to the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. And let us be concerned about one another in order to promote love and good works, not staying away from our worship meetings, as some habitually do, but encouraging each other, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:23-25 (HCSB)
“For as the body is one and has many parts, and all the parts of that body, though many, are one body—so also is Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. So the body is not one part but many. If the foot should say, ‘Because I’m not a hand, I don’t belong to the body,’ in spite of this it still belongs to the body.” 1 Corinthians 12:12-15 (HCSB)